August 8, 2008

Why did Google recruit Naresh

There is some amount of skepticism in all of us. To some of us even basic human goodness appears like scheming. A few would think Naresh was very lucky to encounter such profound compassion that a total stranger on a train volunteers to pay his hostel expense for five years. The skeptics further argue that Naresh must have been truly blessed to encounter such an atmosphere as he did at IIT Chennai. The professors and staff who went out of their way to help him must be repaying their debts of earlier births. And Google must have selected him to show that they champion the cause of the physically challenged and are in fact an equal opportunity employer.

I also viewed this story with a bit of disbelief as it appeared straight out of a fairy tale. I sought an answer for myself. "What drove Google to recruit a double amputee? Was it just to be seen as an equal opportunity employer even if it meant having to constantly make adjustments in the way they would work or was it the fact that Naresh was truly the best guy for the job?" I asked Google in an email.

I shall share with you what Google guys say in their response when I hear from them. In the meantime I ask all of you to write in with what you think could have driven Google to do it.

No comments: